Jordyn White

Race
Mundane
Ethnicity
African-American
Play By
Gabrielle Union
Jun 18, 2018, 03:01 AM Last Edit: Sep 09, 2018, 06:26 PM by Esmera
She was pretty sure this was the right number... there were very few Caderyn Adairs in the world, but it'd taken a bit to remember how he spelled his name (she'd only seen it twice, shut up). After this long, she wasn't even sure he'd want to talk to her, but, Emilia had progressed to exploding glass, and she didn't imagine this would just, go away. Some pep talking, and, she dialled the number. When he answered, it took her a second to respond; sounded right, at least.

"I'm just... going to hope you're the right one. Um. It's Jordyn. ... Jordyn White." If he knew that name, she guessed she had her answer.

Caderyn Adair

Race
Necromancer
Ethnicity
European
Play By
Jake Gyllenhaal
The good news was, other than fielding a few questions about homework he assigned, generally Cade didn't have much to do during office hours, once classes were done. He did still have to be here of course, and he'd had a chat with a couple of students about some more... practical applications - his older students, of course, found they ended up face to face with spirits a lot. It wasn't shocking, that was essentially what this class existed for, after all.  And... his phone was ringing. Okay.

"Cade speaking." There was a pause in which he absorbed what she had said. "Jordyn?" Confusion colored his tone. "I... didn't expect to hear from you."

Jordyn White

Race
Mundane
Ethnicity
African-American
Play By
Gabrielle Union
... yeah, she didn't expect to look him up, either. Probably her own failing. "Ah... if it makes you feel any better, I didn't expect to be heard from." Wait, maybe that sounded wrong - "I mean, not that it's not nice to talk to you just - ..." There was a quiet groan noise, there. "... um. This is going to sound stupid, I'm sure. But you're not like a vampire or something, are you? ... yeah that sounded stupid."

Caderyn Adair

Race
Necromancer
Ethnicity
European
Play By
Jake Gyllenhaal
Cade didn't say anything for a moment, trying to decide how he was supposed to take that exactly. "Not really stupid, no." Finally. No, he didn't sound stupid. Though there were incredibly few reasons he could think of for asking that. A kid of theirs would be... too young to be exhibiting Daeva powers, most likely but that didn't say much about anything else. "Or something, actually." There was the slightest hint of amusement there. "It might be easier if you tell me what exactly is going on." Because there was a lot he could dump on her, and he didn't think... she needed it all at once, probably.

Jordyn White

Race
Mundane
Ethnicity
African-American
Play By
Gabrielle Union
Was he sure? Because it sounded stupid. Even more so when she'd said it. She just let that go. "Or something," she repeated. Okay. ... he didn't seem terribly befuddled at mention of vampires, so, apparently she wasn't seeing things when she swore Casey had fangs. "... her name's Emilia. Likes to call herself Spectra, not sure why, moody teenagers are moody. She's always talked to things that aren't there, but she doesn't seem out of it, so, I haven't taken her to a psychiatrist or anything. ... it helps that once in a while, she talks to a thing that isn't there and I can see it doing things. You should like go in the bright thing, she says, and then the window fogs up and something writes on it, or one time our entire fridge just, froze. No idea why. Ugh, I'm rambling. She blew up the china cabinet the other day by waving her hand at it, and I don't know what to do anymore. It's not like this comes in the parent manual. ... it's not like anyone has a parent manual."

Caderyn Adair

Race
Necromancer
Ethnicity
European
Play By
Jake Gyllenhaal
"I'll explain later, if you want." That was not really a conversation he thought they should have over the phone. Actually, Cade wasn't sure any of this was a chat to have over the phone, but it wasn't like they had a choice. He could tell her over the phone, but he wasn't sure she'd really grasp the idea of a Daeva until she saw. ... But he should tell her at some point, in case this child of theirs ended up doing that, too. It was highly likely. Emilia. Hm. "It's my turn to say something that sounds crazy." Carefully worded, as he leaned against his desk slightly. "It sounds like she inherited my necromancy trait, which means she's talking to ghosts, basically. And the ghosts are doing the things you're seeing." Yes, it did. And it was probably really for the best that Jordyn hadn't sent her to therapy for it, at least not claiming she had hallucinations. That could end... badly. Thanking his lucky stars, yes. "Blowing up the china cabinet though, probably magic." Er. Hm.

What would be comforting there, Cade actually wasn't sure. Well. "If it's any comfort, both can be trained. ... The ghosts though... less controllable."

Jordyn White

Race
Mundane
Ethnicity
African-American
Play By
Gabrielle Union
Ah... she was going to say something about it didn't matter, but, she supposed knowing what other things Emilia was going to start doing later, that might be good. Somebody should know, because it wasn't like Emilia did. But then, it was also possible Cade wouldn't disappear after this. Jordyn had told Emilia about him, at least. Their relationship was just a mess, that was all. If even there still was one. Maybe it'd be a bit awkward, but, she thought they could probably put the awkward behind them, even if just for Emilia's sake.

Funny, though, he was the last person she'd seriously dated, because nobody else was good enough. She'd gotten a few doozies, in trying to find someone else.

For about ten seconds, Jordyn went really quiet... and then laughed. Ghosts. And magic. Most would be wondering if he was serious, she was sure, but, there were explanations for this. "Thank god," she managed. "If you've got answers, she's not the only one that does this, there's someone else that can help her with all this, thank god. I tried, I did, but I'm running out of answers. Ghosts... that explains so much. Ah, thank god." After a few seconds, the relieved giggles stopped. "I guess, the ghost thing... sometimes they tell her stuff in her head, she says they don't seem to know how else to communicate, so they show her what they mean, sometimes it's really hard on her. That's not really something you can block out, right? I've just, been trying to help her pick it apart and process it, varying degrees of success, but is there a better way of handling that, maybe?" Maybe, maybe not, but it was worth asking.

Caderyn Adair

Race
Necromancer
Ethnicity
European
Play By
Jake Gyllenhaal
Cade was quiet for a bit, and let her reaction take its course. It was, being totally honest, far better than he had expected. "Yes there are answers, yes we can help her with it. I'm sure having you by her side this whole time has been incredibly helpful already though." Yes, many parents would reject the reality right in front of them, and that was dangerous to the kids who didn't know what was going on, either. How were you supposed to internalize that something was normal when everyone around you treated it like it was some kind of taint or unnatural thing? Yeah, it was hard as hell. Emelia...Spectra, had already been spared the hardest part.

He sighed a little, sounding almost tired. "Yeah they... do that." Unfortunately. "Experience mitigates it, and there are techniques to make it affect you less, at least. But it can't really be stopped entirely in my experience. ... It depends, a little, on how strong she is." Yeah. "For now, that's probably the best angle though, trying to help her get through what she's seeing and feeling." Because for the moment, that was the only thing she could do.

"There are... a few options. She could transfer schools to come to Luxerion International, or we can probably make arrangements for home lessons if that's not an option. If you're... not in the area I can try help you find a magic school where you are." Some areas had them and some didn't, it kind of depended.

Jordyn White

Race
Mundane
Ethnicity
African-American
Play By
Gabrielle Union
Good. That was good. She just, wasn't sure what else to do, had no idea at the time there were people that did this besides Spectra, it was kind of relieving that somebody could help. And there was no real way around that, yeah, she was afraid of that. Well, worth asking. Maybe she'd get better at handling it, but, they hadn't done too bad. Sometimes she was just a bit moodier than usual, that was all. She sucked at bottling, at least.

"School... oh. There are schools for this. Okay." Luxerion International had magic classes? Somehow, that wasn't surprising, thinking about it. "Um, we're a few blocks away from Luxerion International. She didn't want to go to the big school, so she's in a private school right now, but, she hates it anyway, may not be hard to get her to go with it." If nothing else, promise of learning to control these things, that might do it. And frankly, Jordyn hated that school, too, the teachers were... somethin' else.

She went quiet again, for a few seconds. "... um. ... I didn't. Intend to..." ... intend to what? Drop off the planet? Ha. "My mother, decided she didn't... ah, like you much, stole my phone and shipped me back to Louisiana. It took so long to get loose of her influence, it seemed kind of silly, to just. Call out of nowhere, and here I am doing it anyway, so I suppose that was... that was dumb. Uh. Emilia does know about you, at least, understands why you've not been around, so, either way, if you want to know her, that's... that'd be good, I think, for her, and she doesn't hate you."

Caderyn Adair

Race
Necromancer
Ethnicity
European
Play By
Jake Gyllenhaal
Cade made a noise of understanding. Well, to be fair Luxerion was huge and could be daunting, it wasn't shocking she hadn't necessarily wanted to be thrown in the middle of it. But the slight bonus to a school that size was she was very much likely to make friends with someone eventually. "Mhm. Of course they teach normal things too." Well rounded citizens, that was very important in today's world where everything was recorded and jobs occasionally needed the most inane things. Cade thought convincing her might not be too hard if only because blowing things up had to be somewhat distressing.

Mm. He was quiet for a moment. "You made the choice you thought was best." Cade didn't bother to point out that he wouldn't have minded, or that he would have rather known his daughter existed than not, even if Jordyn didn't want him around. Those were pointless things to say. "Well I'd like to meet her some time." Yes, he would. He was still processing the whole, you have a daughter thing. But ah, he did want to meet her. And he wanted to see Jordyn too but maybe he'd just... leave that alone for now.

Jordyn White

Race
Mundane
Ethnicity
African-American
Play By
Gabrielle Union
Good, yeah. Well, she kind of figured, given Luxerion International had one of the best science programmes in Nebraska. It was good, though, she'd still have all the opportunities as before. That was all Jordyn worried about, just making sure Emilia had as many options available to her as she could give her.

Did she? Because in hindsight, it seemed... maybe not the best one. "It's just..." A slight sigh. "I mean Louisiana's kind of far, and, I had a heck of a time trying to raise her alone, anyway, by the time I had the chance it seemed, stupid." No, she was nervous, mostly. Wasn't really sure how he'd have taken it, didn't want it to seem like she was trying to make him deal with it, probably really wasn't sure what she wanted exactly, anyway. "I guess it's just water under the bridge now, anyway, but, I wasn't mad at you, or anything. I just didn't really want to make you deal with it, is all. She wants to meet you, too, if it helps." Yes, Emilia had been pestering about him, off and on for a few years, now.

Caderyn Adair

Race
Necromancer
Ethnicity
European
Play By
Jake Gyllenhaal
Mm. "I'd have helped, if I knew. I'm sorry you had to go through that." He hadn't known but he hadn't gone looking, either. Which, to be fair, was partially because he'd thought she didn't want to see him any more but that was... apparently mistaken. Ah, but he had no way of doing that so there was... that.

"You know it took two to make her. I'm just... saying." After a moment or two of quiet. It wasn't like he hadn't had a part of it, it wasn't like raising her wasn't also his responsibility. "Mm. It does." It meant she probably wouldn't blow up at him for existing, when he tried to see her. Jordyn had said that she explained, but that didn't always mean he was forgiven. "So would you want to do this on some sort of neutral ground, or would you rather I come by...?" His voice trailed off slightly, tone somewhat uncertain.

When was the last time Cade had been this uncertain about something, anyway?

Jordyn White

Race
Mundane
Ethnicity
African-American
Play By
Gabrielle Union
"It was a mess at the start, anyway," Jordyn answered. "Mama had a right cow, tried talking me into abortion and adoption and everything in-between. What if the baby looks white, what if you don't graduate, what if, what if, what if... you know, that graduating thing, it would've been easier with you around, but we wouldn't want to admit that." Of course not. "I'm not still mad." Why would she still be mad?

"I did alright, though. Went through med school. I'm a RN, now. No more livin' on Ramen for three weeks." Thank god for that. "I probably just spent too long listening to my mama to really think about it."

... that was a good question. Well, maybe he'd want to come by and spend time with Emilia, anyway, and some weekends she ended up pulling double shifts. The kids, they went out and partied on weekends. Accidents happened. "Maybe someday dad-daughter weekends will happen, so, hang on, Spectra! On a scale from 1-10, how clean is the house?"
"... like, eight I think... ... maybe more seven."
"And why is it a seven?"
"... I might've forgotten to do the dishes."
"So go do the dishes, your dad wants to come by."
"WHAT?! FOR DOING THE DISHES?? GOING!"
There was a slight pause, there... "And... that's how you get a teenager to do chores, I guess... uh. So, we're over on 2232 Westwood, if you come from the academy and turn onto Westwood, go down two blocks and we're the blue house with the black Dodge Charger in the driveway. I'd say she'll be done in about fifteen minutes." Somewhere around there.

Caderyn Adair

Race
Necromancer
Ethnicity
European
Play By
Jake Gyllenhaal
Snort. "Ah, yeah probably easier with someone to watch the kid." That she could trust and didn't necessarily have to pay to do it. And of course, it being messy didn't mean he wouldn't have wanted to be involved. He didn't point that out, it was too late for that anyway. "Good. I'm glad." That she was doing well and all. It was good to know she wasn't struggling so much as many single mothers might. "I always knew you'd do well for yourself."

Cade laughed briefly. "Effective indeed." Ah, yes, that had worked. Which he supposed of Jordyn was right about her wanting to see him wasn't too surprising. Blue house with the black Charger, he could remember that. "I should be able to leave in about fifteen or twenty minutes, so that works well."

Jordyn White

Race
Mundane
Ethnicity
African-American
Play By
Gabrielle Union
That got a slight huff. "Thanks." She probably sounded a bit embarrassed. She was.

"Good. Good timing, ah. Well, I'm gonna go help with the dishes and, we'll see you when you get here then." Actually, she was going to panic, probably. Panicking for five minutes sounded like it was in order.

Go Up