Welcome to Aphelion, Guest! Please log in or register!
Hello, and welcome to Aphelion! Also known as "Many Vampires in Nebraska" ( jokingly, of course ), we're a supernatural / modern/urban fantasy with a crime streak, and an optional boarding school. The school permits both supernatural and non-magical students, and features a middle school, high school, and college on the same campus. We're a no application, no word count, no strict activity check, no cap/ban/ratio, sandbox-y game with larger optional plots to partake in, and feature only six member groups, with a mere four distinct races ( you can also play reborn gods! ). Quite honestly, we're very easy to join; the easiest thing to do is create a mundane human for your first character, pretend we're slice of life, and learn as you go, you legit only need to read the rules and joining guide with this method. This first mundane human can also technically spontaneously develop magic later and become a witch, because magic can manifest at any age. Disclaimer: feels may occur. Disclaimer two: anyone that asks for threads in cbox will probably be told to post an open thread, join an existing one, or post in plotters. If this is off-putting to you, this is not the site you're looking for. We are default rated 3.2.2./high PG-13, but we do go above that via users inputting their birth date.

So How Does this Go Again?

Aug 7, 2018
62 Views 15 Replies
Caderyn Adair @ Jun 21, 2018, 07:45 PM

Caderyn Adair
No title
Necromancer
15 Posts 1028 Years Male Daeva European Obsidian & Paulownia Lightning Written by Lenara
Jun 21, 2018, 07:45 PM / 324 Words
Cade hadn't been this nervous in a good long while. He could feel the sensation of it buzzing under his skin. It was ridiculous, honestly, he wasn't a teenager with his first crush, he was a grown man going to meet his daughter. He was well passed the nervous stage, wasn't he? Or, shouldn't he have been? Ugh. Okay, actually he wasn't being all that fair to himself. The daughter was fifteen, and he'd never met her before at all. He hadn't known before a few minutes ago that he even had a daughter to meet, and that was enough to induce nerves in just about anyone.

This was kind of an important meeting. First impressions were important and he wasn't sure exactly how things were going to go. Jordyn had said she wanted to meet him, but that didn't always translate into the meeting going well. And then there was the fact that they'd have to talk about what she was and about school and getting her transferred if that was something she was okay with and... there was a lot to it, honestly.

Thankfully they were still pre-term, so she wouldn't be stuck coming into everything late at least.

Blue house black charger? Uhhh. Right this looked like it was it then. He parked there, making sure not to block in the Charger. And... for a moment he just sat in the car, taking a few deep breaths. Everything was going to be fine. It couldn't end that badly. He knew that, he did.

Anyway. Cade got out of the car finally and made his way up to the door at a somewhat brisk walk. He knocked as soon as he got onto the porch, before nerves could make him hesitate again.

Emilia White
No title
Necromancer
7 Posts 15 Years Female Human African-American Amber & Dogwood Shadow Written by dragonborn
Jun 22, 2018, 06:50 PM / 311 Words
"Mom, your hair looks fine!" Sigh. She was still upstairs, trying to find something to wear, because apparently, mom still had a thing for dad. Which, this was part of why she kept pestering about meeting him someday. Spectra was pretty well aware she knew how to find him, if she tried, but she seemed to think he'd be upset at her or something. It wasn't like Spectra really understood what went through her mom's head, but given how well the phone call had gone... she was gonna go with, her mom worried too much.

But that was what she did, anyway. Mom was always worrying about something. Spectra did have to admire her ability to keep her head on straight in the ER, though. The girl was pretty sure she couldn't do that. Besides, if she saw ghosts, maybe working in a hospital was the worst place to end up.

She'd gotten the dishes done a bit ago, and now she was just getting the house a bit more orderly, putting books back where they were supposed to be, getting the cereal crumbs off the table... oh, knocking!

"I got it!" Yay, that was him probably, yay, yay-she skipped to the door, practically, and pulled the door open. ... whoa. "... hi." Hi. Hi was good. Uh. "... did you know you glow?" she asked, in a stage whisper. Because, she was pretty sure he was glowing, just a little. That was weird. Not that it looked bad or something, it was kind of a goldish color, she thought, not terribly bright at least, just, people normally didn't glow...

Caderyn Adair
No title
Necromancer
15 Posts 1028 Years Male Daeva European Obsidian & Paulownia Lightning Written by Lenara
Jun 23, 2018, 01:50 PM / 238 Words
"Well hello there." This must have been Emilia. Er. Spectra, he remembered Jordyn saying she preferred Spectra. "You must be Spectra?" His tone made it sort of a question in which he wasn't entirely sure. But she looked to be about the right age, certainly she was too young to be Jordyn.

"Ah, actually I did know that yes." Mildly. To necromancers, he glowed. And that did indeed confirm for him that this was definitely her. "It's because you are a necromancer." Carefully. "And if you want to get very, very technical, I am a spirit." What? There was no point in lying or bending the truth with her. He could explain what he meant by that after gauging her reaction to it in general. If nothing else, telling her before she got into a necromancy course that told that what the glow meant seemed appropriate.

It was kind of impolite to keep secrets like that.

And people tended to prefer learning important things about family members from the person themselves. And... you know. He didn't want to start off on the wrong foot by not telling her something she might feel was important, when she eventually figured it out. "I'm Caderyn." Which he figured she'd probably prefer to call him at first or so.

Emilia White
No title
Necromancer
7 Posts 15 Years Female Human African-American Amber & Dogwood Shadow Written by dragonborn
Jun 24, 2018, 03:19 AM / 298 Words
He knew which name to use! She just grinned, and nodded. Logically, of course, mom must've told him, but, still. It was pretty exciting how he automatically used the right one. Her mother had stared at her oddly, when she'd decided her nickname was Spectra, but-also, she was a necromancer, and saw ghosts. How fitting was it, now? Not that she'd known that back then, exactly, but, she had a hunch. Yes, a hunch.

Ah. He was supposed to glow. At least, it sounded like it was normal for-wait wait. Spirit? So, she did see ghosts, and she could tell he was dead? That's what it sounded like. That was confusing, though, because... she looked down at his shoes. Nope, actually standing on the porch. So he was solid. How did that work? She looked back up, and for a moment, she sort of stared somewhat blankly at him. Caderyn. "Dad's fine," she decided. "Unless it's not fine. How does a spirit make kids with a living-wait, does mom know you're dead?" It seemed like maybe something that'd come up on, she didn't know, date four? Five? How many dates did they get to? Well, teenagers and hormones, maybe it'd only gotten three dates and then oops-

Because, that seemed kind of important. On the other hand, mom was a normal person. Whatever normal meant, but she'd go with the term for right now. Maybe he didn't want to freak her out? ... did this make her mom a necrophiliac? You know what, maybe she'd just, stop, right there. Great idea.

Caderyn Adair
No title
Necromancer
Jun 24, 2018, 12:17 PM / 328 Words
"I leave that one in your hands." He said immediately. If she wanted to call him dad, she could do that. He just... hadn't expected her to be so willing given he hadn't really been around or anything like that in the past. Some people needed time to warm up to the idea before they did things like that.

Of course that was the first thing she asked. It wasn't that different from another living being. "Ah, no she doesn't know that." He could admit to that. In fact he'd kind of have to. "It hadn't ever come up." Eventually it would ... have to, yeah. "Well you might have noticed I'm solid. I'm not a ghost. I have a physical form just like anyone else. I blend in pretty well unless someone happens to be necromancer and then they can see the glow." Mildly.

"What I am is called a Daeva." Letting her consider that for a second. "Which in... simplest terms, is kind of like the human concept of a guardian angel. We exist to do a task - to protect someone, or sometimes a lot of someones, and to guide them. Sometimes in handling that task we build a life to blend in, like I have." Yes, well. "... And things happen. Life happens, so to speak." Daevas were just as prone to 'life' happening as anyone else, it turned out.

"But we're not exactly supposed to share what we are." Especially not with completely non-magical people. "I would have eventually, when I realized things were getting more serious, because lying to someone that close to me isn't right. But I hadn't gotten there quite yet." So there was.. that. Jordyn didn't know and now they had a daughter.

Emilia White
No title
Necromancer
Jun 25, 2018, 02:51 AM / 381 Words
"Dad it is, then," just as immediately. What? It wasn't like there was any sense fussing around with it. He was her dad. And really, she hoped he came for Thanksgiving and Christmas, because, she really wanted to see the look on nana's face when he walked in the door. That might make her a little mean, but, maybe she'd do what her cousins all did and decide to stop going, and do things at home instead.

Oh. Mom didn't know, because, he was a daeva, basically a guardian angel, and they weren't supposed to tell. That kind of made sense. Probably made things a bit harder on them than they needed to be, when everyone knew what they were. She just made a face. "Well, that makes sense, but, I do not envy you that conversation, good luck," she said. "At least she's open-minded. Also, she's upstairs fussing with her hair, soooo apparently she still cares what you think." Apparently. Spectra knew that already, but, you know, he probably didn't. So if he was nervous because he didn't know how she felt about him, well, there it was.

"Oh!" Right, and Spectra moved out of the way, pulling the door fully open so he could come in. "Sorry, suppose we shouldn't have conversations like that on the porch. ... and if mama comes down and you're still on the porch, I'm gonna get stared at. Mom made hot water if you want like tea or something, shoes go there, and just, have a seat wherever." She gestured at the shoe rack, and then made a sweeping gesture at the living room; they had hardwood floors, and mom was pretty serious about not ruining them. They were a pretty nice medium colored solid oak floors, waxed and buffered to a slight gleam. The kitchen off the dining room had gray stone tiling, and then the L shaped stairs were carpeted. Everything upstairs had a cream-colored carpet, except the bathrooms, and they were blue tiled.

Yeah, Spectra didn't know how much their mortgage was, but it was probably pretty high.

Caderyn Adair
No title
Necromancer
Jun 25, 2018, 01:07 PM / 341 Words
That was fair. Spectra wanted to call him dad. It was a strange, but warm feeling in his chest. Cade hadn't ever raised children before, hadn't ever had the chance to be a dad before. It was a little late, with this one, but he was looking forward to the chance.

An amused noise here. "Ah, I don't envy myself it either, but I'm sure it'll be okay." Confidence and all. She had taken things remarkably well on the phone about Spectra, so he thought maybe she would take the things about him decently well. He'd already hinted that he wasn't quite normal in that conversation, so it wouldn't be completely out of left field when he tried to explain. "... Yeah she's really open minded. It's helpful." And she still cared... what he thought.

That was cute. And made him just a little more nervous than he needed to be. Oops. Because he did still care about her, but there was always the chance that they'd grown into different enough people that working together would be harder than it needed to be, or than it might have once been.

Ah, well, they'd been being quiet enough it wasn't a big deal but still. Cade did slip inside and push the door closed behind him. It was easy enough to step out of his shoes and tuck them on the rack so he didn't want to scuff the floors or track in dirt or anything like that. "I certainly don't want you to be stared at." Jordyn's looks could be rather intimidating, as he recalled.

"Lovely place." After a moment of looking around he did move over towards one of the seats. If only because it might be a little strange to remain standing awkwardly in the middle of the entry way.

Emilia White
No title
Necromancer
Jun 26, 2018, 04:09 AM / 317 Words
"Also sort of weird for a mom, I guess," Spectra said, shrugging. "Most of my friends had The Talk with their parents, you know the birds and the bees, and it was full of don't have sex, you'll get pregnant and die. Mama just kinda sat me down and we had an hour long discussion about how if he says it won't fit in a rubber, he's a lyin' sack of lying, varying STDs and how you get 'em, and then she gave me a box of condoms and was like 'Telling you not to is stupid, so, just be safe about it and if you feel like you're not safe you call me,' and I was confused. But. Joys of having a nurse for a mom, I guess." Something like that. "... and as you can tell, the thing where she tried to make that an open subject instead of an uncomfortable one clearly worked."

Spectra just laughed a bit, falling into a couch. No, really, it sort of ate her. "Mom's stares are somethin'." Yeah, she bet it was. "Probably pretty pricey, though. Shoulda seen the last place we had. Big improvement. The paint was peeling off the walls and half my room's crown trimming was broken at the old place. But that was when mama was still a waitress goin' through medical school." It was pretty bad.

"Moooom! You're missing all the fun! I'm telling him about your loser ex-boyfriends!" ... no she wasn't. She turned to Cade, there. "They all sucked." That was the important part. "I'm gonna find something embarrassing to tell him in about five minutes!" She had no idea what that would be, but, she'd figure something out.

Caderyn Adair
No title
Necromancer
Jun 26, 2018, 10:54 PM / 298 Words
Cade was a little surprised by the turn in conversation, but his expression stayed level through it. What? It wasn't like it wasn't a conversation he'd had before. Kids came to school... woefully under prepared, sometimes. "Well, I'm glad she had a practical discussion about that with you." Mildly. "There's lots of trouble to get into at school." And if she really did move to LIA there would be even more trouble to get into than there was at her current location.

Mm. Cade regretted that he hadn't been around to help with that, honestly. It was sad, that she'd had to live that way, and yes, as it turned out, Jordyn was doing fine for herself. But... still. It was... still. He could have made that smoother, he could have helped. And he had a lot to make up for not being around for.

Snort. "Well, hopefully none of them were too bad." Frowning a little at the thought, but Cade didn't say anything more on the subject. "Honestly though, I can be patient, you don't have to harass her into coming down. I'm sure she will when she's ready." A meeting that had waited for fifteen years could certainly be delayed another few minutes.

Besides, it was also possible Jordyn was letting them get a feel for each other before she interrupted. "So, what do you think of this magic stuff in general?" Curious how she felt, how she was processing it. It wasn't something they could make go away but knowing how Spectra felt would be helpful for deciding how to broach this.

Emilia White
No title
Necromancer
Jun 29, 2018, 02:52 PM / 448 Words
"Only one," she said. "Threw something at her and flipped the coffee table, don't know what they were fighting about. Never saw him again." And good, really, because, Spectra might've kicked him. She was, at least, intelligent enough to know, by now, that would've been a bad idea. Probably, it would've just made things worse, but it might've also been enough to kick her mom, if she'd decided to try tolerating it. Good thing she didn't, just, all around. He wasn't a very nice guy, anyway. She certainly wasn't sad to see him go.

Spectra snorted. "And I'm young and tenacious." Wait, maybe that was the wrong word. "Impetuous? ... yeah, but I like the other one." Technically, both fit the bill, but tenacious had a better ring to it. She could also just be oddly weird about word choices.

At that, she slid down the couch a bit, making a groaning noise. "See, I don't mind so much, in general," she said. "I mean, who doesn't want to do magic when you're fifteen, right? But this blowing stuff up thing, can go away. Also, the ghosts like to randomly break stuff, too, I do that enough myself. Gosh, a few weeks ago, one of 'em froze everything in the fridge. Everything. Did you know certain frozen cheese doesn't taste very good? It doesn't." Maybe no cheese really tasted good after being frozen. Brie never got back its goo. Which was sad, because what was brie if it wasn't gooey? "And to make it worse, they didn't just freeze everything, we pulled everything out of the fridge in the same giant ice block, that's just rude. I think I got that one to go in the light thing, though." Well, she hoped at least.

"I also made someone's necktie too tight once, pulled someone else's hat down over their face without touching it, and tied someone's shoelaces together. ... as funny as it was, I think I might get expelled if I do any more magic on accident. Mom's been arguing with them for months." By this point, Spectra really didn't like that school. They had cameras. She never touched any of them! Yeah, it was her fault, but they couldn't prove that.

Caderyn Adair
No title
Necromancer
Jul 01, 2018, 12:21 AM / 353 Words
"Well at least he didn't come back." Somewhat dark toned, and his eyes probably flashed with something like concern for a second, and then it was gone. That was the past, and there was nothing he could do for it. At least that one hadn't been allowed to stick around, at least he hadn't done more harm than that. Jordyn was a strong woman, and had made the choice to remove him herself. He'd be thankful for that, because there were plenty of people who had been trapped in terrible positions by men like that.

Snort. "Well I'm sure you are." Yes, well, she had to be a bit stubborn to keep going in a world like this one when she was so different from most people. Trial by fire, or so, her years had been. Hopefully they got better. Hopefully he could keep the worst of things away from her until she was ready. "The other one sounds better." He agreed.

Caderyn listened intently, looking rather sympathetic as she spilled out her woes about the various incidents of magic. Ah, yes. He thought he understood now why Jordyn had finally called.

"I'm glad you did." Mildly. "Ghosts can be, ah, a bit stubborn at times." Yes. They could be. "Mostly they're confused and don't know what's going on or necessarily how to communicate what they want. It can lead to mishaps though. I'm sorry." He really was, because of course they were attracted to the people who could see them.

"On that front I have news that may be good or bad, depending on your feelings." Should he wait for Jordyn to come down? Maybe? But on the other hand he'd already told her. "Ah, but perhaps that talk should wait until your mom comes down." If only because Jordyn was her mom, and may want some part in that talk.

Emilia White
No title
Necromancer
Jul 04, 2018, 05:20 AM / 289 Words
Yeah, there was that to be glad for. "If he had, I'd have probably kicked him eventually," Spectra said, snorting. She was still fairly sure that was a bad idea, but, nobody said she always made good choices. Actually, more often, she tended to make not-so-good decisions. Most could probably argue it wasn't a terribly smart thing. Spectra just didn't really afraid of much. She was either lacking in self-preservation instincts, or just hadn't ever really felt unsafe before, and had gotten perhaps too accustomed to it.

"Stubborn's a word," Spectra said, tone drawling slightly. Yeah, not the word she was thinking. Grating, maybe. She didn't really hold it against them-being dead was probably kind of suck, and maybe really confusing for some, given the kinds of memories those sorts tended to give her-but it was still like, can we please make a single file line, and maybe write this stuff down? No? Damn. "Mm, I figure it out," she answered, shrugging. "Nothing too bad has happened at least. Just, sometimes that whole processing thing, figuring out what they mean and what they need, and then dealing with my own reactions, usually very close together or at the same time, it's... I could live without it." Yeah. Maybe a lot of people like her could.

Oh. "Well now I'm just really curious." But, eh, mom would get downstairs eventually. "... so if you're a dead guy, are you actually, like, white? Is it even possible for a bunch of sentient plasma to have genes?" Spectra, asking the real questions.

Caderyn Adair
No title
Necromancer
Jul 04, 2018, 07:14 PM / 326 Words
"I'll just be glad that didn't have a chance to happen." Because that could easily have turned into something even more dangerous than what Spectra had already described. Ah, he couldn't blame her exactly, but that didn't make the idea of it any less worrisome. People like that could easily get worse, could get more violent. Yes, he'd just be glad that it hadn't had a chance to escalate any further than that.

Well he supposed it wasn't the word she would have liked to use, but Caderyn had thought it fit. Maybe it didn't, in her experience, or maybe she just would rather use a stronger word because it reflected her emotions on the subject. Either way it didn't entirely matter. The point was gotten either way. "Well that's good." Yes, it was. "Figuring it out on your own can be hard." It could be, there was more than a hint of pride in her in his voice.

He nodded in understanding. "That's the hardest part." His tone sounded sympathetic. "It might be comforting to know that there are things that can be done to make it easier. It didn't make it easy necessarily, but it did help. And even that much was nice when you'd been going at it alone, in his experience.

"...Well..." His voice trailed off slightly for a moment, thoughtful. Now she was asking serious questions, it seemed. "I was white when I was alive." She may  want to know that. "But as I am now I have no actual ethnicity or genetics. Daevas are shape changers, we can choose to look like whatever we wish to look like in order to live and work without being noticed."

Emilia White
No title
Necromancer
Jul 14, 2018, 07:33 AM / 383 Words
"I noticed," she drawled, sliding down in her seat a little more. At least she wasn't totally off her rocker. There was that to be glad for. Sometimes, being honest about it, Spectra had kind of wondered, here and there. It wasn't as if her mother saw them. No one else she knew did, either. And, sometimes, to herself, she wondered if maybe she'd just gone crazy. Her mother always insisted she wasn't crazy, just different, and now Spectra had to wonder how much she actually knew when she insisted that, if maybe she'd had no way of knowing that, before, whether she was trying to convince Spectra or herself.

Ultimately, it didn't matter one way or another. Spectra was just going to settle on being glad her mother believed her, and hadn't utterly flipped her lid.

Oh. For a moment, Spectra just kind of stared at him in disbelief. "... so, grandma decided she hated you, because you look white at the moment. Which you could've changed at any time. Wow, that's some male cow excrement, right there." No kidding. "Do you remember where you were from, exactly?" Was he, like, English-white or Slavic-white? She was really just curious what the other half of her heritage was, honestly. Obviously, she didn't really have the genetics from it, but checking out the culture might be cool. It was hard to say how much of it he still remembered, how much still affected his personality and morals, but, it couldn't hurt to get a peek at her roots and all. ... um, technical roots, not-well, this was going to be weird. Eh, she'd just, go with it. She was half whatever he was, even if she actually wasn't.

Better. Technicalities, Spectra only selectively dealt in those. "Does this make me like a clone of my mom? That's odd." Yeah... being fair, she did inherit something from him, clearly. Maybe she'd inherited that because it was basically the only thing she could inherit from him. That made sense to her.

Jordyn White
No title
Mundane
10 Posts 32 Years Female Human African-American Written by Esmera
Jul 14, 2018, 07:48 AM / 424 Words
This conversation was turning out relatively interesting. The million-question interrogation had apparently started, from what Jordyn could hear at the top of the stairs. So far, though, they seemed to be getting along pretty well. Spectra was taking this better than Jordyn expected, actually. She'd expected a typical teenager shit-fit, but to be fair, they hadn't been talking very long. It may eventually happen, at some point, but as it stood, they seemed to be getting along okay.

She couldn't tell if he at least talked like the same Cade she knew once. And really, she was still pretty nervous (no, she hadn't spent that entire time upstairs doing her hair, or whatever - it was mostly an excuse to not be present when he got here). Their getting along was a good start, mind, but she still wasn't sure how this would pan out for their own relationship. Maybe they'd hate each other. Things changed, of course. Jordyn wasn't seventeen anymore, and ... well, come to think, she never did figure out how old he was, but in any case, it'd been fifteen years. Some things were different, of course, and it was hard to say if they'd get along as well as they did back then.

It probably didn't really matter, any. This was for Spectra, anyway, not her, and they should both be mature enough to hate each other's guts and still get along enough not to put her in the middle. That was, really, the best Jordyn could hope for, in the end. That Spectra had a dad, and some guidance for the things Jordyn didn't know how to handle, and however they got along or didn't, didn't mess that up.

Anyway, she should probably go downstairs now. She did at least put her hair up in a ponytail, if only to make it look like she'd been busy doing something, but she was in a loose beige sweater and a pair of jeans, nothing fancy, when she finally stood back up and meandered down the stairs. Jordyn smiled a bit at Cade, snorted at the last thing Spectra had asked, and settled down next to her. "Hon, you don't really look much like me, you can't be my clone." That wasn't how cloning worked... or she randomly got all the recessive genes at once.