Welcome to Aphelion, Guest! Please log in or register!
Hello, and welcome to Aphelion! Also known as "Many Vampires in Nebraska" ( jokingly, of course ), we're a supernatural / modern/urban fantasy with a crime streak, and an optional boarding school. The school permits both supernatural and non-magical students, and features a middle school, high school, and college on the same campus. We're a no application, no word count, no strict activity check, no cap/ban/ratio, sandbox-y game with larger optional plots to partake in, and feature only six member groups, with a mere four distinct races ( you can also play reborn gods! ). Quite honestly, we're very easy to join; the easiest thing to do is create a mundane human for your first character, pretend we're slice of life, and learn as you go, you legit only need to read the rules and joining guide with this method. This first mundane human can also technically spontaneously develop magic later and become a witch, because magic can manifest at any age. Disclaimer: feels may occur. Disclaimer two: anyone that asks for threads in cbox will probably be told to post an open thread, join an existing one, or post in plotters. If this is off-putting to you, this is not the site you're looking for. We are default rated 3.2.2./high PG-13, but we do go above that via users inputting their birth date.

History Often Rhymes

Aug 11, 2018
65 Views 13 Replies
Ksenia Essair @ Jun 26, 2018, 10:12 PM

Ksenia Essair
ice queen
Vampire
6 Posts 2,137 Years Female Vampire Roman Ice Written by incendium
Jun 26, 2018, 10:12 PM / 313 Words
For some reason, Kassander seemed to think she needed to go this way. She was long past the stage where she questioned what he said, because often, he was right, but it didn't stop her from wondering. If anything, his usually being right made her wonder even more, because what could possibly be so important that she come out here? It was an almost nondescript part of Luxerion, the streets just the same as any other street in any other quiet, residential part of the city. There was an interstate not far away, a fact she only knew because she could hear the cars whizzing along the asphalt, the occasional tire squeal from somewhere, here and there the buzzing sound of a rice burner, or the put-put-putter of a car that'd seen many better days.

Ksenia didn't question Kassander, anymore, but he did often have interesting ideas, to say the least of it. Her hair was loose, today, vaguely curled, dressed pretty normally by modern standard, just a tee and a pair of jeans, albeit she had her Drago pendant around her neck, a bracelet made of gold, seashells, and tiny diamonds around her right wrist. Eventually, she'd figure out what she was here for, maybe, so for now, she just leisurely meandered down the sidewalk. At the end of the street, she'd cross, and go back the other way.

Kassander didn't tend to send her into anything particularly dangerous, at least (despite, of course, her being perfectly capable of handling such things), and most likely, this wouldn't really get her in trouble. Eventually, she pulled her phone out, a slender Android-operating Samsung, and decided to play a phone game while she wandered. Her senses were good enough, she shouldn't run into anything.

Daren Caely
No title
Daeva
6 Posts 543 Years Male Daeva Irish Obsidian & Oak Light Written by Lenara
Jun 27, 2018, 12:03 PM / 342 Words
He'd spent most of the last two weeks hiding on Madagascar. One might say, it's stupid to hide on the island directly under Maharaja. They'd be right, to be fair, Daren knew that. But he'd been banking on the fact that Azrael thought he was dead - which, he probably did, being honest. Most didn't survive the Fall - Daren had just been lucky enough to manage to user sorcery to slow his fall back to earth, and it had been enough.

Daren had spent the last two weeks hiding because he hurt. And for the record, yes, he did still hurt. But it wasn't surprising, it wasn't like his back was going to heal over night, and healing magic was notoriously hard to perform on oneself. At least, the healing spells he knew were hard to perform on himself. But at some point in the night, Daren had realized he still had a tug. Or, had a new tug? He wasn't really sure, given Azrael had said she was dead he probably had a new one but that didn't really make sense.

First, Daevas didn't normally get multiple focuses back to back and second he was... fallen. And so he shouldn't have had a focus at all. That was something for Daren to sort out later. In the mean time, he was trying to find the tug, and he was absolutely sure that it was close by at this point. He just wasn't sure--

Oh. There. Daren had ended up a few feet behind her, but there was that sudden knowing that the woman in front of him was what he was looking for, as the tug stopped as soon as he was near her. His steps faltered slightly. She was... familiar. "...Ksenia...?" Mostly to himself, ah but she was a vampire and there was a high chance she would hear that anyway.

Ksenia Essair
ice queen
Vampire
Jun 27, 2018, 06:10 PM / 417 Words
Something felt off. Thinking about it briefly, it felt like daeva, somewhere nearby, and after a moment, she realized it was a familiar daeva. Unsurprisingly, she'd asked Kassander, a week ago, if Daren had gotten reassigned finally (she told him he should've been, he'd be more useful elsewhere), but Kass, as always, just raised his eyebrows, and said something about he'd be back, when he was ready. Whatever that meant. Far be it for her to question him too hard, usually it didn't get her very far, but...

Yeah, that was him. She stopped, turning her phone screen off, dropping it in her pocket. What was that scent? Oh, no, she knew what that was. Another one of those, hmm? Ksenia could bet it was Azrael. Everything was Azrael. Just why, exactly, was Livia still in stasis, anyway? Perhaps that might be a thing she should ask Kassander. Why was Livia in stasis? Certainly, she'd be more than capable of handling the Council. Perhaps, could even fix it, to some extent. Much like Kassi didn't, Livia didn't tolerate too many of the things the Daeva Council had decided was right.

Ooh, if she ever found Azrael... and why was he a daeva, anyway? Kassi wouldn't have made him one, but that was the only way to become one. Unless, of course, there being a way to take the daeva away meant there was a way to give it, outside of the Light's influence.

"I asked the Light if he'd given you something more important," she said. "He said you'd be back. I still don't understand." Knowing him, it was probably something silly, like, she was lonely or whatever. "I'm probably not supposed to." Probably. Ksenia shook her head, turning around, smiling, a bit. It was kind of sad, too. "It's nice to see you. I'm sorry, though," she added, glancing behind him. Yeah, she could smell that. Oddly, there was this faint scent of Kassander's power to it, but that made no sense. Kassi wouldn't do that. So who did? No, she didn't even ask. She was probably right about it being Azrael. It was always Azrael.

But why did his magic feel like Kassi's?

Daren Caely
No title
Daeva
Jun 27, 2018, 11:52 PM / 303 Words
A slight amused noise, though it was certainly restrained. "Ah, I can't say I ever figured it out either." No, he hadn't ever quite figured out what she had been set as his focus for. Except... she was. "I'm not complaining, though." No, she was a nice person to be around. Just... typically there was a reason for a focus, and he still hadn't figured it out. And he wondered if that meant he was failing this one. It should have, fundamentally, since he was now Fallen. But he still had her as a focus so maybe not? Ugh.

Daren had stopped a foot or so back from where she had. "It's nice to see you, too." It was, actually. She was a good friend, and it was good to know that she was alright. "I'm glad you're alright, too." Though he had to wonder how they had lied about that, exactly. Unless they'd just... said it meaning her vampirism and assumed they could make it entirely true without him ever knowing. Yes, that seemed... possible. It was possible to bend the truth if one was careful enough. A pause. "You are alright, aren't you?" Just making sure.

"Don't be." Calmly. "I knew the risk." He had and he still had gone through with it. He didn't regret it, except that now she had to deal with him being somewhat stunted, apparently. Since the Light hadn't seen fit to break the Focus.

What did that mean though, that the light hadn't broken his focus after he had Fallen?

Ksenia Essair
ice queen
Vampire
Jun 29, 2018, 11:58 PM / 356 Words
No, neither was she. It was nice, that he was back, but it was unfortunate, that it'd ended so badly, up there. She really was going to try and kill him, if she ever met Azrael face to face. He'd caused Bjorn's fall, and that child had not a terrible bone in his body. Ksenia had known him for the vast majority of his life. Daren didn't seem to, either. He had a good heart, and it was the ones with good hearts, and decent heads, that Kassi wanted. How did that one terrible one slip in? Perhaps he'd started out decent. It was debatable.

"I am," she answered. "We have a new kid around, now, though. The Storm brought over a young girl, that'd been turned accidentally by a rogue. Her sire's gone, now, but the Drago are fairly good with traumatized kids." It happened, really, as something of a necessity. Sometimes, she thought Kassander was trying to spare as many kids from living the kind of terrible life that he and his brothers had. It was kind of nice to see, and maybe it helped him, too, to help them. "Traumatized vampire kid is new, but, we're doing okay, so far." Admittedly, Noelle hadn't been around long, but she was taking to things decently. At least she wasn't scared half to death all the time, now, but, probably, some time around Sati and Surya had done her some good, before she'd even met the Drago.

"I can be sorry it happened, anyway." She was, truthfully. "... where are you staying?" Ksenia didn't figure he'd be going back up there anytime soon. Probably, Kassander wouldn't squint too hard, if she dragged him to the Drago. Whether she had to drag, or not, that was kind of in the air, but, she didn't think it'd be too hard to get him to let her shadow-step them both.

Daren Caely
No title
Daeva
Jul 01, 2018, 12:02 AM / 236 Words
That was good. She really was okay, at least physically. That was a relief for Daren, even though seeing her had been a pretty good indicator that she was doing okay. A small nod. "Shame it happened to her." Yeah, it really was. "But at least she's in good hands." Yeah, if anyone could take care of a child vampire, it was going to be one of the larger, older covens. "I hope things keep going well." Trauma like that was rough for anyone, but especially someone so young. Yeah, he hoped it turned out okay.

He supposed she could be. Daren just inclined his head slightly, accepting the statement. It was less painful than shrugging would have been, and mostly got the same point across.

Ah. "I hadn't figured that out yet." Daren admitted somewhat sheepishly. "I was staying hidden on an island for a bit, but I hadn't decided what I was going to do here." Not yet at least. He'd figure it out, because that was one of those things that was kind of his responsibility. "I'll manage though, don't worry." With a sort of placid smile. He certainly wouldn't ask her to be concerned about it.

"Anything else I missed, beyond the new little one?"

Ksenia Essair
ice queen
Vampire
Jul 02, 2018, 08:39 PM / 377 Words
So far, at least, Noelle had been doing decently, at least as decently as they could expect. She was young, but, she certainly wasn't stupid, and Kassander had already tried, a few times, to explain things in a way she could understand. His success with this was variant. Ksenia thought, though, she was starting to understand her parents were not coming back. That was a difficult thing, for a child, by itself, but then she also had to deal with being a vampire, suddenly. At least she wasn't old enough yet, to have developed most of the vampires' powers. She shifted, but, no telepathic screaming, just yet. Truthfully, getting the uncertainty and awkwardness of shifting forms out of the way early, that was probably much better. She could learn to control it sooner, and essentially handle vampiric oddities one at a time.

Ah. Ksenia smiled a bit, rocked back on her heels for a moment. He hadn't decided to hide on Madagascar, did he? It'd obviously turned out okay, though, so perhaps she shouldn't complain. "Ah... well, my silly son and his husbands decided to go on vacation for a bit," she said, sounding bemused. "Apparently he misses the sea." It wasn't surprising; Kassandros and his brothers had grown up in a villa that was within two or three minutes of walking distance of the ocean. Then, of course, they'd moved to Salerno, and then Naples, and both were seaside, too. Much of the Italian peninsula was, of course. At times, she missed the sea, too.

"There is one other thing, but, maybe not here." Ksenia held her hand out. "You're welcome with the Drago, though," she said. "I didn't even have to ask. He just mentioned it randomly, about a week ago." Which seemed odd, but, then again, they were having kids, Kassander probably wanted to happily poke holes in all his bemoaning of his "fallen" status, and if nothing else, some things would be easier. She honestly kept expecting the Drago to end up with a daeva division, like it had a human one.

Daren Caely
No title
Daeva
Jul 03, 2018, 10:11 AM / 235 Words
Well, breaks were good things, he supposed. "Ah, well if he's used to being near the ocean I can see why." There was not a lot of water here, or anything similar. Hopefully they enjoyed their vacation. And his... husbands. Daren just sort of shrugged that off because it wasn't terribly important. "Out of curiosity, which son?" If his memory was serving she had two, but he hadn't really had a chance to get familiar with either one. He thought they both were married too so there was... that.

Hopefully he would, in time.

Ah, okay. There was something else but not here? That worried him a little, but Daren pushed it aside. She'd tell him when she was ready, and he'd know if it was dangerous. That was going to be what he reminded himself of for right now. He'd find out when it was time.

Oh. Was he? That felt like kind of a terrible idea. On the other hand it would keep him closer to her, and maybe that was a good idea at this point. Hnn. "If... you're sure." Daren didn't really like the idea of imposing, but it really was the most practical thing to do at this point. Finally he took the outstretched hand after a moment.

Ksenia Essair
ice queen
Vampire
Jul 04, 2018, 07:49 PM / 311 Words
"He and his brother were born about a minute or two's walk from the beach," Ksenia explained, rocking back on her heels a bit, more amused than anything. "Kassander," she said. "The blond one with the unnerving stare." Yes, some things didn't change. Really, his stare at only become more unnerving, in the time between Luxerion and Capua. Yet, it was no longer so rare, as it used to be, to see the ice in his eyes melt a little. Kassander had come a long way since Rome. They all had.

Admittedly, though, Kassander's hair was often more of a white, than an actual blond. Either way, it didn't make much difference. Who had the patience for semantics and technicalities once you passed a certain age, anyway? Ksenia had decided, she didn't.

"I am," Ksenia assured, nodding. "Kassander rarely says anything he doesn't mean." ... to... say. It wasn't always the absolute, honest to god truth, but, things like this, at least, he wouldn't joke lightly about. As soon as he took her hand, her fingers closed around his, and as gracefully as only someone her age could, she shadow-stepped them both into the Drago di Napoli complex, not far from where they were, in the longer run. She caught the quiet beep sound that signaled Apollo had decided not to kick them right back out, so soft the humans couldn't hear it.

She did, however, not decide to let his hand go. "Odd question, maybe," she started, "but have you ever thought about having kids?" Maybe that was a safe place to start? Give her a break, she hadn't needed to do this in centuries.

Noelle Essair
No title
Vampire
2 Posts 5 Years Female Vampire Middle Eastern Written by Esmera
Jul 04, 2018, 08:07 PM / 304 Words
This wasn't turning out right. Noelle didn't know what was wrong with it, but it didn't look right. Hmm. Actually, maybe it needed a little more red. With that decided, the girl grabbed the bottle of red paint (non-toxic, washable, finger paint, because popop was practical), and dumped a bunch on the canvas, and smeared it around. She was, of course, coated in several different colours; red, blue, white, green... she didn't much like yellow, though. It didn't look right. She thought it was too bright, and it made her uncomfortable.

The quiet little beep noise went off. Noelle didn't know what that noise was, exactly, except that it meant someone had come in that was allowed to be here. There was another noise it made, a soft click, and if the click was what happened instead of the beep, it was a bad person and the building shoved them back outside. Noelle wasn't sure how the building shoved bad people outside, but it did, and that was good enough for her. Excitedly, she flicked the wet paint off her hands, making the canvas splatter in colour (and then took a second to admire it - she liked what that did), and then scurried off down the hall, probably tracking paint the entire way.

Oh, gigi! "GIGI!" she squeaked, running up to Ksenia and crash-hugging her legs. "Gigi, popop got me paint I can put my hands in!" Then, of course, she noticed the new person, gasped, "Oh, gosh!" and hid behind Ksenia's leg, peeking at him around her jeans. Naturally, Ksenia's jeans and the bottom of her shirt were now technicolour.

That was why the paint was washable.

Daren Caely
No title
Daeva
Jul 05, 2018, 07:57 PM / 354 Words
Yeah, that would make missing the ocean almost a given here, Daren imagined. Kassander, right of course. The blond with with an unnerving stare. That would be... interesting. Kassandros had husbands, plural, and was on vacation - or going on vacation? Either way, really. Filing that away so it didn't confuse him later, or trip him up because that would be awkward. Having to be reminded more than once about things wasn't good if he could avoid it.

A nod. "Alright." He would trust Ksenia if she said that she was sure Kassander was serious about his being okay staying with the Drago. It would be easier to be closer to her anyway, and it would save him finding somewhere to stay that not many people would look at him oddly for the strange way he moved and the most-likely strange hours he would keep. It wasn't long before they appeared inside of a building. Daren looked around for a moment, taking in what he could see here and getting reoriented because teleporting was always a little... jarring.

Daren looked a bit surprised at the question. "Well when I was alive my health was never quite ... up to par, and I never actually got married. After I died and became a Daeva it was... well we're not really supposed to do things like that." He was going to say something else, realizing that Ksenia wouldn't have asked that question for no reason at all. And maybe there was something she had wanted to hear and he could... say more than that.

But before he could... there was a small child. "Well hello there." Daren's voice was soft, his expression gentle. "I'm Daren. What's your name?" He did at least realize before he did it that crouching down to be on her level would be absolutely agonizing. ... Let's not scare her by suddenly being in extreme amounts of obvious pain. His tolerance was high, but it wasn't that high.

Ksenia Essair
ice queen
Vampire
Jul 08, 2018, 11:03 PM / 336 Words
That ah... that was and was not what she'd meant. It did give a bit of insight, though. He, perhaps, hadn't thought of it before. If he didn't even know whether he'd ever wanted kids or not, Ksenia supposed that made things a bit uncertain. It was admittedly somewhat uncomfortable, not to have a real answer one way or the other, but, she just tried to remember Daren wasn't them. It'd taken so long for her to finally open up to someone again, and there had to be a reason why this one, right? Still, she worried.

No, Ksenia was stronger, now. Much, much stronger than she used to be, even if it did turn out badly, it wouldn't go near so badly as it had with Cyprian and the triplets. It was nothing she couldn't handle, now. Even if, for some reason, she couldn't, she knew her sons could. Kassander and Icarus wouldn't let history repeat itself that way.

Oh, Noelle. It was likely a good thing, she'd given some semblance of warning about her, given she was apparently going to appear suddenly upon her return. "I see this," Ksenia answered, sounding amused. Yes, she saw, and so did her jeans. Hopefully, Haku had gotten her washable paint, this time. Ah, that was cute, Noelle ducking behind her.

"You should hold still later," Ksenia mentioned, looking at Daren. "I can fix that." She nodded behind him. "He's not going to bite you," Ksenia mentioned, looking down at Noelle, patting the girl's hair. She supposed, though, when you were barely four feet tall, someone as tall as Daren might be a bit surprising. Sandalio was about the same height, though, so it wasn't exactly how tall he was that'd startled her. Most likely, she just hadn't been expecting someone else.

Noelle Essair
No title
Vampire
2 Posts 5 Years Female Vampire Middle Eastern Written by Esmera
Jul 08, 2018, 11:12 PM / 242 Words
Oh. Well, gigi wasn't concerned, so, the strange man was probably okay. Noelle stayed where she was, though, just in case. Sometimes, bad people weren't obviously bad people when you first saw them. Sometimes, it took a while before they were really bad. Something dada had said once, and despite not quite understanding what he meant, right away, Noelle remembered it. She did, at least, trust gigi's judgement, so after a moment of eyeing him like she wasn't sure what to make of him, she decided gigi and Apollo seemed to not dislike him, at least, that was probably good enough.

"I'm Noelle," she answered. "It means Christmas, but I don't know what that is." It did sound kind of neat? Well, she guessed she'd figure out what Christmas was, eventually. Whenever daddy, dada, and popop got around to explaining, they were busy people. "Well, even if he did bite, I bite back!" Noelle declared, looking up at Ksenia.

"You're about as tall as dada," so he wasn't really scary, she'd just been told to be careful who she talked to, that was all. "Are you gigi's dad?" In the mind of a five year old, that made perfect sense. He was as tall as dada, so he was a dada, too, right?

Daren Caely
No title
Daeva
Jul 11, 2018, 03:47 PM / 377 Words
"You don't need to." Calmly. "It'll mend itself." In time, that was how it went. She didn't need to waste her energy on something like that.  He could mend just fine, and she was better of concentrating on more important things. Like what? He wasn't sure off hand. but he was quite sure there were better things for her to be focusing on. Such as the fact that there was a genuine chance that Azrael would eventually come after Ksenia.

That was something Daren was actually rather worried about. He wasn't sure - hm. He'd mention it maybe, to at least let her know it was a possibility if she hadn't thought of it. But not right now, with the little one who could pick up on that particular conversation.

"That's a very pretty name." Daren said, turning his attention to the girl again. For a moment, he considered explaining, and then decided against it. That was really up to her parents to decide if she needed to know, honestly. He did laugh softly at that. "Well it's a good thing I don't intend to do that then." Yes, it was. He had a feeling her bite might hurt just a tiny bit. He was not currently as limber as normal, and it might be harder to avoid being bitten than usual, after all.

Daren made a slight noise in surprise at that question. "No, I'm not your gigi's dad." Gently. "I'm a... friend." In a slight tone that may have made it clear that Daren wasn't entirely sure what to tell her there. It was probably better than trying to explain, exactly, to her. And he wasn't sure how Ksenia wanted their relationship presented to the girl to begin with. So... friend was what he'd gone with. But it wasn't entirely accurate.

It was complicated, knowing what was okay to say and what wasn't. Daren preferred to err on the side of caution with someone else's child. But she really was adorable.